GROTON, Conn. (AP) A U.S. Navy attack submarine has returned to its homeport in Groton after a deployment to the waters around Europe.
USS Missouri came back to the Naval Submarine Base yesterday afternoon.
The nuclear-powered submarine traveled roughly 37,000 miles during a deployment that included port visits in Scotland, Spain and France.
The Missouri was commissioned in 2010 as the seventh in the Virginia class of attack submarines.
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) A Jamaican man has been sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for sex trafficking of minors in Connecticut.
Federal prosecutors say 26-year-old Wellington Brown recruited five victims for prostitution, luring some of them with false promises of modeling careers.
Brown was sentenced Thursday in federal court in New Haven to 10 1/2 years in prison.
Authorities say the victims engaged in prostitution at hotels in Stratford and Milford and provided tens of thousands of dollars to Brown.
Brown, a former resident of Hartford, pleaded guilty in March to conspiracy to commit sex trafficking of a minor and five counts of sex trafficking of a minor.
Brown was arrested in 2014 with an accomplice, Sheena Dume, who is awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty last year to sex trafficking.
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) Police say a 28-year-old man has been fatally shot in Bridgeport, the city's first homicide of the year.
A department spokesman says Javoni Patton was found in the street at the intersection of Stratford and Connecticut avenues at about 8:40 p.m. Thursday night suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead just after 9 p.m.
Patton was found not far from his car. The car's door was open and his personal items were strewn about the street.
Witnesses told investigators they heard several gunshots, then saw the victim get out of his car and stumble into the intersection, where he collapsed.
There was no word on arrests.
There were 19 homicides in Bridgeport last year.
ROCKVILLE, Conn. (AP) A Connecticut man convicted last year of repeatedly trying to kill his wife has been sentenced to 38 years in prison.
The Hartford Courant reports John Corver of Bolton was found guilty Nov. 25 of multiple counts of first-degree assault, first-degree kidnapping and attempted murder in a trial before a judge. He was sentenced on Thursday.
Authorities say 53-year-old Corver stabbed his then-wife, Kim Langlands, repeatedly in April 2014 as they drove along Interstate 384 in Bolton and then again in Coventry.
A judge convicted Corver of attempted murder for the stabbings and for placing a wick in the fuel tank of the car they were riding in.
Corver was sentenced to prison in 2002 for running down his then-girlfriend and her friend in 2000.
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) Officials say a 90-year-old man died after a fire broke out a New Haven apartment building.
The fire was reported at around 6 p.m. Thursday at the Robeson Elderly Housing on Rosette Street.
The man was found on the second floor. He was taken to a hospital where he later died. Authorities didn't immediately identify him.
Officials say about 30 residents were displaced. They are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) A Connecticut man has pleaded guilty to a federal hate crime for firing a rifle at a mosque next to his home shortly after the deadly attacks in Paris.
Ted Hakey Jr. pleaded Thursday in federal court in Hartford to damaging religious property. Sentencing was set for May 10. The charge carries up to 20 years in prison.
Authorities say the Baitul Aman Mosque in Meriden was empty and no one was hurt when Hakey opened fire hours after the Nov. 13 attacks in Paris that killed 130 people. Four bullets struck the mosque.
Prosecutors say Hakey's Facebook account contained evidence of animus toward Muslims, including a conversation before the Paris attacks in which he said, ``All Muslims must die!!! I hate them all.''
Hakey remains free on $400,000 bail.
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) A teacher at a college preparatory school has been arrested and charged with sexual assault following allegations she had an inappropriate relationship with a student.
The New Haven Register reports Kirvanna Jones, a math teacher at Engineering and Science University Magnet School, was charged Wednesday. She's also charged with risk of injury to a minor.
Officials say there's no evidence to indicate that any other students or teachers are involved. Jones had been a teacher at ESUMS since August 2014.
Superintendent of Schools Garth Harries confirmed last week that a teacher had been placed on administrative leave following the allegations and the school district had contacted police.
Jones is being held on $75,000 bail.
It's unclear if she's represented by an attorney.
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) A music teacher at a Bridgeport elementary school has been charged with assaulting a special education student.
The Connecticut Post reports that 51-year-old Lydia Struble, of Stratford, a teacher at Thomas Hooker Elementary, was charged with third-degree assault in connection with the Feb. 4 incident.
Investigators say the 13-year-old girl told them Struble picked on her during class, called her names and yelled at her. At the end of class, Struble allegedly grabbed and pulled the girl's right wrist, then grabbed her left shoulder and forced her into a chair.
Police say the girl had bruising and scratches on her wrist, and a bruise that appeared to be a handprint on her shoulder.
Struble refused comment when reached by the newspaper. She's free on a promise to appear in court.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) A bail bondswoman who authorities say shot her boyfriend to death in West Hartford has been convicted of manslaughter.
The Hartford Courant reports Angela Grasso of Plainville was acquitted of murder Wednesday but found guilty of first-degree manslaughter with a firearm in a Hartford court.
She faces up to 40 years in prison when she's sentenced April 13.
Authorities say the 29-year-old Grasso shot 23-year-old Jose Mendez in the head on April 9, 2014. Police said she told them she shot Mendez in self-defense.
Grasso told authorities Mendez repeatedly threatened to kill her and her family as they drove around in the car, after accusing her of cheating on him.
Prosecutors argued Grasso's self-defense claim had no grounds.
Grasso's lawyer says they're ``disappointed'' with the jury's verdict.
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (AP) Newly disclosed evidence has prompted a Connecticut judge to declare a mistrial in the case of a former local American Red Cross official accused of embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars.
The Journal Inquirer reports that Middletown Superior Court Judge David Gold declared the mistrial Tuesday after hundreds of pages of emails involving the Red Cross' internal investigation of the embezzlement allegations were disclosed. The discovery of the emails raised the possibility of more delays in the trial.
Diane Williams, of East Hartford, is accused of embezzling money by increasing her pay when she was finance director of the Middlesex Central Connecticut Chapter of the Red Cross for eight years until 2010. Her lawyer says the extra payments were authorized.
Prosecutors will have the option of retrying the case.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) A third man has been charged in connection with a sex trafficking investigation involving an 18-year-old woman who was held against her will, physically abused and forced into prostitution in Connecticut.
Forty-three-year-old London Barnes of Hartford turned himself into police last week on charges of first-degree sexual assault, first-degree kidnapping and other offenses.
Two other men were also arrested in January and face similar charges.
Hartford police said they rescued the Enfield woman from a North End address in September. Authorities said the woman was held against her will for about a month and forced to have sex with men.
Barnes is being held on $600,000 bond. It wasn't immediately clear if he has an attorney who could comment.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) UConn President Susan Herbst is asking lawmakers to spare the school major budget cuts, warning that continued cutting could lead to the elimination of academic programs, sports and the closing of regional campuses.
Herbst was the first of several leaders of Connecticut colleges and universities to go before the General Assembly's Appropriations Committee on Wednesday.
The lawmakers are grappling with a state budget shortfall of approximately $500 million for the next fiscal year.
Herbst says plans to cut UConn's budget by $31.4 million would wipe out the revenue generated by recent tuition hikes.
She also argued that the school has a $3.4 billion economic impact on the state and is ``one of the most important tools Connecticut has to help build its economic future.''
ORANGE, Conn. (AP) A Connecticut man has been charged with attempted murder after police allege he stabbed his mother multiple times.
Police responding to a complaint of assault at an Orange home at around 3:20 a.m. Friday and found a woman suffering from multiple knife wounds to her chest, face, head and both hands.
She was taken to a hospital for treatment. It's not clear what her current condition is. Authorities didn't immediately identify her.
Police say the woman's son, 21-year-old Charles Weber III, also suffered a knife wound. He was arrested Monday and charged with first-degree assault and attempted murder.
Weber is being held on $500,000 bond. It's not clear if he has an attorney who can comment.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) A man who served more than 20 years in prison for a murder he did not commit has been awarded $6 million by the state of Connecticut.
Miguel Roman was released from prison in 2008 after DNA tests pointed to another man in the 1988 slaying of a 17-year-old girl in Hartford.
The Hartford Courant (cour.at/1SdHSQ0) reports Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr. on Monday apologized to Roman in the award decision ``for the burden that he was forced to suffer'' during his imprisonment.
Roman was sentenced to prison for 60 years after a jury convicted him in 1990 of the killing of Carmen Lopez. Roman is now 59.
Another man, Pedro Miranda, was found guilty of the girl's murder in 2011 and is serving a life sentence.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) Secretary of the State Denise Merrill wants people who are doing business with the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles to be automatically registered to vote.
The Democrat announced Monday she submitted a proposal that would allow eligible DMV customers to be automatically registered unless they choose to opt out.
Merrill says the proposal, dubbed the motor-voter legislation, would make registering to vote more convenient and efficient and could bring ``countless new voters onto the rolls.''
It's up to the legislature's Government Administration and Elections Committee to raise the bill for further consideration.
There are currently variations of the motor-voter legislation in other states.
MANCHESTER, Conn. (AP) Police say a Manchester man has been arrested for heroin possession just days after he was arrested on the same charges.
The Hartford Courant reports that 35-year-old Pedro Cartegena was arrested just after midnight Sunday.
Police say they found four bags of heroin in Cartegena's car during a traffic stop. He's charged with possession of heroin with intent to sell.
It's the second time in one week that Cartegena has been arrested on drug charges.
He was charged Feb. 2 with sale of illegal drugs and possession of a controlled substance after police say they saw him selling heroin. He was released on $150,000 bond.
Cartegena is again being held on $150,000 bond and is due in court Feb. 18.
It's unclear whether he's represented by an attorney.
HAMDEN, Conn. (AP) A teacher at a college preparatory school has been placed on paid administrative leave following allegations she had an inappropriate relationship with a high school student.
The New Haven Register reports Superintendent of Schools Garth Harries confirmed the teacher had been removed from Engineering and Science University Magnet School. He declined to name the teacher.
Harries says the alleged relationship was reported by a student. He says the school district immediately contacted police.
New Haven Public Schools said in a statement Thursday the teacher was removed from the classroom the previous day.
ESUMS is a public school for both middle and high school students. It's located in Hamden.
NEW LONDON, Conn. (AP) Officials say at least three more people have been treated for suspected heroin overdoses in New London days after the city held a vigil calling attention to a spate of overdoses in recent weeks.
New London Battalion Chief Keith Nichols says emergency responders treated two male patients Saturday afternoon. A woman was treated about an hour later. All three were taken to an area hospital.
The overdoses come weeks after hospital officials reported an ``unprecedented'' number of heroin overdoses, with more than 20 cases between Jan. 27 and Feb. 5.
Officials had attributed the uptick to a potentially lethal supply of heroin.
The Day reports that two people died of suspected heroin overdoses in the city during the same period.
A vigil was held for the overdose victims on Thursday.
ELLINGTON, Conn. (AP) The killing of a mother of two remains unsolved six weeks after she was shot to death in her Ellington home, leaving relatives frustrated and some town residents worried.
Authorities responded to a burglary alarm December 23rd and found 39-year-old Connie Dabate fatally shot and her husband, Richard Dabate, wounded in their home. Their two sons were in school at the time.
Richard Dabate was treated at a hospital and released.
State police only will say the case is still under investigation. Troopers previously said there was never any threat to the public, but they didn't elaborate.
A relative of Connie Dabate says the family is frustrated that there hasn't been an arrest yet.
Some town residents say they're worried, and the lack of an arrest is fueling speculation.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) A bookmaker has pleaded guilty to charges he shot a gambler with a stun gun and tried to burn down a restaurant in a $190,000 insurance fraud scheme in Hartford.
The Hartford Courant reports 52-year-old John Barile pleaded guilty Thursday in federal court to charges of arson, insurance fraud, gambling and extortion.
Authorities say the East Hartford man ran an illegal sports-related bookmaking operation from 2010 to 2014. Prosecutors say he shot a gambler with a stun gun to punish him for not paying his debts.
Prosecutors say Barile and three others plotted to burn down a pizzeria he and a partner owned in Middletown to collect an insurance payout in January 2010.
Barile is scheduled for sentencing on May 6th.